What you'll do:
- Act as the point of contact for important legal issues and global business initiatives, as well as requests for advice from a wide range of business clients across all functions and geographies.
- Assist the General Counsel to prioritize and manage the workload of the Legal Department, with particular regard to budgetary constraints and the division of labor between inside and outside resources. Assist with the development and recognition of Legal Department members.
- Assure compliance with corporate governance requirements.
- Draft and negotiate major contracts of all kinds, including M&A agreements, supply agreements, distribution agreements, leases, employment agreements, financial agreements, etc.
- Advise the appropriate business functions on the fast-developing laws of privacy (including but not limited to HIPAA, CCPA and GDPR), data security and e-commerce.
- Provide legal advice to R&D and Medical Affairs regarding clinical trials, research projects and the operations of Metagenics’ medical clinics.
- Manage litigation involving Metagenics or its employees and other types of dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation. Develop policies and procedures to minimize litigation.
- Respond to government investigations and enforcement actions at all levels.
- Handle or manage mergers and acquisitions in all geographical areas, including negotiation, due diligence, letters of intent, asset and stock purchase agreements and related regulatory filings.
- Maintain familiarity with laws and regulations relevant to Metagenics’ evolving business. Advise the organization about legislative and regulatory developments that may affect Metagenics or its industry, and participate in advocacy regarding legislation relevant to the Company.
- Represent the Legal Department in internal and external meetings, and develop and deliver presentations on relevant topics including departmental activities and initiatives.
You'll love this job if you're:
- A strong communicator and collaborator and work effectively with all members of the organization, from individual contributors to top execs
- You always maintain a friendly disposition — even (and especially) under pressure
- Quick on your feet! When problems arise, you reliably produce responses and solutions
What you'll need:
Experience / Training / Education
- Excellent academic credentials, including a J.D. from a highly ranked law school, and admission to practice law in at least one jurisdiction.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience, preferably including work in a large law firm and a corporate legal department.
- General corporate and commercial experience, preferably including privacy, data security and e-commerce. Litigation or deal experience a plus.
- Outstanding analytical, organizational and communication skills.
- Self-starter with the ability to lead cross-functional teams as well as to work independently.
- Ability to manage and develop others.
- Ability to deal effectively with several levels of management with different functional backgrounds, e.g., general management, marketing, sales, medical, scientific, technical, regulatory.
- Strong sense of integrity and ethics, and the ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
Physical requirements/working conditions:
- Sits at a computer station, meeting table or work desk for more than two-thirds of each day
- Stands and walks to other stations and departments throughout the day
- Uses hands and fingers to operate computers and office equipment most of the day
- May stoop or crouch to access files or storage
- Requires clear vision at 20 inches or less with or without corrective lenses
- Hearing and speech within normal ranges and sufficient for clear communication face to face and especially via the telephone
- Lifts up to 10 pounds regularly; lifts 25 pounds occasionally
- Exposed to noise levels typical of office environments
Mental and reasoning requirements:
- Uses critical thinking skills to work with documents and spreadsheets and interpret information furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Able to review complex documents like contracts and leases. Able to review quantitative and qualitative work and identify questionable items
- Expert problem-solving and data-analysis skills
- Able to set goals based on available information and to plan work in order to meet deadlines
- Able to formulate appropriate responses to requests for data, services and information from internal or external customers with a wide range of personalities and demeanors
- Able to project likely future occurrences based on current or historical data
- Able to work independently and react quickly to changing priorities with a consistent sense of urgency
Metagenics, and its companies are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or any other protected status with respect to recruitment, hiring, promotion and other terms and conditions of employment. Metagenics takes affirmative action in support of this policy to employ and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, disabled, and veterans.